Be proactive and prevent problems by adding these helpful tips to your routine for skin care.
- Acne breakouts—Make sure to blot sweat frequently. Sweat build up clogs pores. Wash headbands, bras and other occlusive clothing to avoid dirt buildup. Make sure your makeup/sunscreen is non comedogenic and oil free. If you wear a mask, don’t wear makeup under the mask.
- Dry skin—Shower and shampoo after getting out of the pool. Use extra conditioner for your hair. Use sunscreen, and use it often, as a burn will take you all summer to recover. Make sure your soap is mild, and always apply moisturizer immediately after showering. Remember that excessive air conditioning is drying to your skin.
- Folliculitis—Change out of sweaty clothes as soon as possible. Loose clothes don’t block your pores as much. Avoid hot tubs as they can contain a kind of bacteria called Pseudomonas.
- Nail salons—Not all nail salons are created equal. Choose a salon that is meticulous about cleaning. Some salons keep separate tools for each client. Never shave right before an appointment, as small cracks in the skin can be an entry point for bacteria.
- Sun allergy—Check your medicines before getting in the sun. Certain medicines such as tetracycline can make you more likely to sunburn. When in doubt, check with your dermatologist.