With the cooler, drier air of fall and winter quickly approaching, here’s how to get control now of your scaling, flaking scalp:
- Wash your hair frequently. Daily is best.
- Use a good dandruff shampoo. Head and Shoulders or Selsum Blue are good choices,
- Do not over-brush, pick or scratch. Psoriasis is made worse by trauma.
- Topical steroid foams, used appropriately, can reduce the itch as well as the redness and scale.
- In severe cases, nightly use of an oil such as P & S Liquid can loosen the scales in a non-irritating way.
When topical treatments fail, there are many systemic options. See a dermatologist for more in-depth advice.