It’s time for a skincare refresh! Let’s take the ArkLaTex Dermatology skincare challenge together.
It’s not only important to use the right products, you need to use them in the right order to maximize the benefit. Think prepare, treat, and seal your products in.
Here’s a simple 4-step guide:
2) Toner to remove excess oil that would block penetration of products
3) Serum—your antioxidants and/or growth factors
4) Moisturizer to seal in your products—this can be in your makeup or sunscreen
Need product suggestions? Cosmetic consults are free at Arklatex Dermatology.
March is spring cleaning month, and the best way to start is with the ZO Getting Skin Ready kit.
Always start with a cleanser. Hydrating cleanser is good for normal to dry skin, but the exfoliating cleanser is best for oily skin.
Next, tone your skin with complexion renewal pads or oil control pads. This allows any of your beauty products to absorb better into the epidermis.
Finally, don’t forget to exfoliate. The ZO exfoliating polish tops off your cleansing regimen by removing dead cells.
Take advantage of a free cosmetic consultation to adapt this regimen to your skin.
Behind our masks this winter is skin needing some rejuvenation. Dry skin in winter needs exfoliation to restore brightness. Discoloration from acne needs to be erased. And there is always dreaded brown discoloration.
The VI peel is a medium depth peel, so expect epidermal peeling beginning on day 2. It may be done singly or in a series. For added effect, one can try the Precision Plus version of this with hydroquinone. This can be booked at either office.
There is no doubt that dead skin buildup makes your skin look dull. But, exfoliation that is too aggressive may leave your skin red and irritated.
Listen to what your skin is telling you, and find the right balance of products. Use of Obagi or ZO exfoliating cleanser daily is fine, but you can also alternate with their gentle cleansers. The ZO complexion renewal pads are a mild exfoliation choice and also help to unclog pores.
More aggressive exfoliation may be done with Obagi Exfoderm or ZO Exfoliating Polish, but you may want to limit use to one or 2 times a week.
A super aggressive version of exfoliation may be done by using these products more frequently, but too much aggression may actually result in hyperpigmentation.
If you don’t like the Do it Yourself approach, superficial chemical peels such as our Vitalize and Rejuvenize peels are great exfoliation choices. Just don’t neglect this part of your beauty routine!
Three things to do in February for lip enhancement
1) Lip filler. There are a number of products ranging from Juvederm Ultra to Restylane Kysse to enhance lips, decrease lip lines and perk up the corners around the mouth.
2) Topical creams and gels. These products give a temporary smoothing and plumping and take effect in minutes .
3) The much touted Lip Flip to perk up your lips and reduce smoker’s lines. This is accomplished with small amounts of Botox.
If you want great lips, try all three!
February Special! $50 OFF 1CC OF ANY FILLER FOR LIPS!
Three Products to Plump Lips Without Injections
Valentine’s Day is around the corner. Here are 3 products at Arklatex Dermatology to plump and smooth your lips without injections:
- Youthful Lip Replenisher by Revision (on special this month)
- HA5 lips by SkinMedica (my favorite)
- Antioxidant Lip Repair by Skinceuticals.
Ask for advice about which is right for you.
As we ring in the new year, here’s a look back at the best skincare products of 2020.
- Best gentle cleanser—Obagi Gentle Cleanser
2. Best exfoliating cleanser—Skin Medica AHA/BHA.
3. Best oil control—ZO Oil Control Pads.
4. Best Toner—ZO Complexion Renewal Pads
5. Best antioxidant—TNS Essential Serum by SkinMedica.
6. Best moisturizer for skin repair—SkinCeuticals Epidermal Repair Cream.
7. Best product to smooth crepey skin under makeup—Skinmedica HA5.
And the best place to get all these products? ArkLaTex Dermatology!
Every day, multiple people ask me if I support getting the COVID-19 vaccine. My answer is a resounding YES.
I have been lucky enough to receive my first dose a week ago, and I will get my second dose on January 11th. By getting the vaccine, I am doing everything I can to protect myself, my family, and my patients. It was easy, and it was almost painless. I had minor arm pain, but that was easily controlled by taking ibuprofen. Two of my nurses experienced minor aches and flu like symptoms from their vaccinations.
Anyone who has questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Be safe. Get the vaccine.
Dr. Josephine Futrell
This patient was thrilled with her Coolsculpting results! She had two sessions spaced one month apart. These before-and-after photos were taken before the first session and 90 days after the second.
Coolsculpting of the chin is a great way to get rid of the unwanted double chin, and help to define your jawline. Call for a free coolsculpting consultation.